Our Destiny 2: Pre-load guide contains a simple breakdown of how to download the game ahead of launch and ensure that it's automatically updated in the future.
Bungie has confirmed that Destiny 2 players on PS4 and Xbox One can begin pre-loading the game soon. Those on PS4 can being pre-loading on August 31st, 2017, while Xbox One players will be able to pre-load the game right now, from the 22nd August.
Below, you’ll find a handy breakdown of how to pre-load the game on both platforms when the time arrives. We’ve based this guide primarily on those who’ve pre-ordered the game digitally on both the Xbox One and Playstation 4. However, we have included a brief guide on how to get the game downloaded if you’ve bought a copy from a retailer.
Do make sure you’re following @BungieHelp on Twitter if you want to know exactly what time pre-loading starts for your platform.
First, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve enabled automatic updates for your Xbox One. This means that you don’t have to worry about manually downloading Destiny 2 when pre-loading becomes available, and when the game is patched in the future.
Enable automatic updates
- Go to “Settings”.
- Click on “All Settings.
- Go into “System”, then “Updates”.
- You’ll see “Latest console update status” with two boxes to its left.
- Tick the “Games & Apps” box to ensure that Destiny 2 is downloaded as soon as it becomes available and automatically keeps itself up to date in the future.
Make sure Destiny 2 is installed
Now, you’ll want to make sure that Destiny 2 is installed in your system.
- Go to “Games & Apps”.
- You should see “Destiny 2 - Base Game” with “Pre-ordered” in your library.
- If you don’t see this, go to the store and search for Destiny 2.
- You’ll see “Destiny 2 - Base Game” with either “Installed” or “Install”.
- If it’s the former, you’re good to go.
- If it’s the latter, make sure you click on “Install” and follow the process through.
Pre-Order Bonus Content
Finally, it’s worth double checking if your bonus content and Expansion Pass is installed too - you don’t want to miss out on all those goodies.
- Search Destiny 2 in the store.
- You’ll see: “Destiny 2 - Pre-Order Bonus Content” and “Destiny 2 - Premium Digital Content Pack”.
- If they say “Installed”, there’s no need to do anything.
- Otherwise, click “Install” and get them downloading.
- The final step is making sure you’ve got the Expansion Pass if you pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version of the game.
- Click on it in the store and you should see “Expansion I” and “Expansion II” in the bundle.
- Just above the pink "Manage" button there should be notification saying "You own this product". If so, future expansions will be downloaded automatically - sit back and relax!
- Otherwise, makes sure you download them both. They aren't game files but licenses instead, so they're very small downloads. No long waits here.
- Head to the Playstation Store, scroll down to your Library and click on it.
- Click on “Purchased”. If you’ve already purchased Destiny 2, you’ll see “Destiny 2 Base Preorder” here with a countdown timer just below it.
- Click on it, then click on the countdown timer itself. This should bring you to the game page.
- Check the tick box with “Auto-Download”.
All of your bonus content will download automatically with the Destiny 2 base game on PS4, so there’s no need to worry about finding and selecting them individually in the Playstation Store.
Set automatic downloads
It’s worth setting automatic downloads for future updates. This means your PS4 will download and update Destiny 2 as soon as updates become available.
- Go to “Settings” then “System”.
- Click on “Automatic Downloads”.
- Make sure you’ve checked the boxes for “System Software Update Files”, “Install Automatically” and “Application Update Files”.
Set features available in Rest Mode
This is more of a useful extra, but one which you should definitely consider doing. It means that when your PS4 is in Rest Mode, you’ll still be able to download updates.
- Go to “Settings” then “System”.
- Navigate to “Power Saving Settings”.
- Click on “Set Features Available in Rest Mode”.
- Check “Stay Connected to the Internet”.
Retail version of Destiny 2
Of course, we haven’t got a copy of the game to hand just yet, but it should be a very simple process indeed.
- Open Destiny 2 case.
- Take disc out of case.
- Insert disc into PS4 disc drive.
- Watch game download.
In all seriousness though, make sure you enable automatic updates for your console by following the steps we’ve detailed above. It’ll mean you won’t have to worry about Destiny 2 missing out on any updates or patches in the future as it’s all taken care for you.
If you’re wondering why PC hasn’t been included in this guide, it’s simply because there’s no pre-load date yet. We’re certain that a date will be announced, but it’ll be sometime in late September once the Destiny 2 PC beta has concluded. We'll make sure to update this page when these pre-load dates are confirmed.
The Destiny 2 PC open beta kicks off for those who pre-ordered the game on 28th August and everyone on the 29th August. It ends on the 31st August, which is around a couple of months before the PC launch on 24th October.