Our Hunter Gunslinger guide contains all of the subclass's abilities, passive abilities, grenades, barriers and other upgrades.
Hunters in Destiny 2 excel at short to medium range combat, using their heightened agility and melee weapon skills to devastating effect. While nothing's changed in that regard from the first game, all of the returning subclasses have had something of a makeover this time around, and the Gunslinger is no exception.
We’ve brought together all the information you need to know about their new skills and abilities below. In order to do this, we found Arekkz' video - which we've embedded further down the page - incredibly helpful. If you agree, give the video a thumbs-up and maybe consider subscribing to his channel for all of his over insightful Destiny 2 content!
This guide will undergo many revisions as we enter the beta and beyond, but for now you should find the following a pretty solid primer on how things are shaping up for the Gunslinger in Destiny 2.
When you've finished brushing up on the Hunter Gunslinger, why not get a head start on the other subclasses by reading our Destiny 2 Subclass guide? It's got all the latest information on every character class that we currently know about!
Editor's note: Update #1 - We've just added a new video towards the bottom of this page. This provides a much closer look at all of the Hunter Gunslinger's various perks and abilities. We've also dropped in some PVP footage which should give you an idea of how this class plays in competitive multiplayer.
Editor's note: Update #2 - On top of the PVP footage, we've added a video of the Hunter Gunslinger fighting through the Inverted Spire Strike mission. It'll give you a great idea of how this class fares in PVE combat.
Editor's note: Update #3 - We've embedded a highlight video towards the bottom of this page, which shows what the Hunter Gunslinger's Super Ability is capable of in PVP.
Destiny 2: Subclass guides
Super Ability: Golden Gun
- Pressing L1+R1 together will summon a flaming pistol that disintegrates enemies with Solar Light.
Way of the Outlaw
These are passive class abilities.
- Chains of Woe: Precision kills increase weapon reload speed for you and nearby allies.
- Bombs for Bullseyes: Precision hits generate Grenade energy.
- Six Shooter: Golden Gun can be fired quickly up to 6 times but has a shorter duration.
- Explosive Knife: Throw a knife at enemies that explodes shortly after impact when Melee energy is full.
- Swarm Grenade: A grenade that detonates on impact, releasing multiple drones that seek nearby enemies.
- Incendiary Grenade: An explosive grenade that catches enemies on fire, causing additional damage over time.
- Tripmine Grenade: An explosive grenade that sticks to surfaces and detonates when enemies pass through its laser trigger.
Our most popular Destiny 2 guides:
Two types of dodge tied to the Hunter class.
- Gambler’s Dodge: Dodging (double tapping circle) near enemies generates Melee energy.
- Marksman’s Dodge: Automatically reload your equipped weapon when Dodging.
- High Jump: Upgrades Double Jump with even greater height.
- Strafe Jump: Upgrades Double Jump with better directional control while in the air.
- Triple Jump: Upgrades Double Jump with a third jump.
Passive Class Abilities 2
- Knife-Juggler: Throw a knife at enemies when melee energy is full. A Precision kill with this ability immediately recharges it.
- Gunslinger’s Trance: Enter a trance with each Precision kill, reducing the cooldown of your Golden Gun.
- Crowd Pleaser: Precision hits with your Golden Gun generate Orbs of Light for your allies.
- Line ‘Em Up: Precision hits with Golden Gun increase its damage and extend its duration.
Here's a closer look at all of the subclass' abilties, worked through one by one:
Hunter Gunslinger PVP
Here's some PVP footage of the Hunter Gunslinger. Don't forget to check out our Destiny 2: Crucible guide for details of everything else we know about this area of the game:
Hunter Gunslinger PVE
In the video below you'll find footage of the Hunter Gunslinger fighting through the Inverted Spire Strike. Make sure you check out our Destiny 2 Inverted Spire Guide for a more in-depth look at this co-operative PVE mission.
Hunter Gunslinger Golden Gun PVP highlight
We've embedded a video below by Destiny 2 Community which sees a Hunter Gunslinger pull off a rapid triple kill with his Golden Gun Super Ability. Not only does it showcase the sheer power of this ability, but it also highlights one simple fact - run if you're about to be on the receiving end of the Golden Gun.
We'll make sure to update this article if any other Hunter Gunslinger highlights come to our attention!