Our Destiny 2 Hunter Arcstrider guide contains everything you need to know about the subclass, from skill trees to passive abilities and everything else besides.
Hunters in Destiny 2 excel at short to medium range combat, using their heightened agility and melee weapon skills to devastating effect. In the original Destiny, Hunter Bladedancers imbue their knives with Arc Light, which allows them to slash through enemies with devastating effect. For Destiny 2, the Bladedancer subclass has been reworked, taking on the name of Arcstrider and receiving even flashier close-quarters capabilities in the process.
We sliced and diced as the Arcstrider throughout much of our playtime in the beta. From our experience twirling about disintegrating enemies, we've brought together a comprehensive look at the the new subclass coming to Destiny 2.
It's worth noting that this guide will undergo many revisions when the game finally launches in September, but for now you should find the following a pretty solid primer on how things are shaping up for the Arcstrider in Destiny 2. You can read up on the rest of the subclasses coming with the sequel in our Destiny 2 Subclass guide.
Editor's note: UPDATE #6 - We've added a brand new video clearly outlining each Super Ability combo and a few essential tips and tricks for the Arcstrider just below!
Destiny 2: Subclass guides
Quick tips and tricks
Here’s a few nuggets of advice that you should take with you into battle. They might all seem a little basic, but they're simple habits you should adopt if you want to come out on top no matter what mode you're playing.
- When using your Super, make sure you spam [circle] instead of running straight at enemies. It means you'll dodge gunfire easily and significantly reduce the risk of you being taken down before you've even reached your target.
- Gambler's Dodge is an absolute life-saver when you're in a pinch. Use it to quickly dash behind a wall, or even in the middle of a sustained firefight to throw your enemy off their aim a bit.
- We recommend activating your Super out of sight, so you can rush down enemies and take them by surprise. This will give you a far better chance of survival, as opposed to letting them know where you are so they can shoot you as you're in the process of activating your Arc Staff.
- Gambler's dodge isn't just an escape tool, but it's also a great way of winning a close quarters duel. This combo will get ensure you come out on top every time: Shoot, Gambler's Dodge, instant melee.
Super Ability: Arc Staff
- Form a staff of pure Arc energy and acrobatically take out your foes. Binds to [L1 + R1].
Make sure you check out our Super guide for more tips and tricks on how to master the Hunter Arcstrider's Arc Staff ability.
Super Ability: Combos
The combos below were detailed in a thread by redditor LevelAtWork.
The gifs below are taken from IGN's Firsts series on Destiny 2.
- [R1]: Basic Slash - A standard swipe attack.
- [R2]: Razor's Edge - Sends an arc beam forwards after slashing an enemy.
- [R1+R2]: Whirlwind - Leap into the sky and take out enemies in mid-air.
- [R1+R1+R1]: Ground Pole Slam - Slam your staff into the ground at the end of this combo, causing a small AoE (Area of Effect) eruption.
- [R1 + R1 + R2]: Arc Palm Blast - Finish your combo by thrusting your hand out and blasting any foes ahead of you in a high damage cone of effect.
- (Mid-Air) [R2]: Aerial Ground Slam - Plummet from the sky and crash your staff into the earth. Deals a huge amount of AoE damage.
We’ve embedded a video below which takes you through each combo, so you can see them in action. It’s worth memorising them too, so when it comes to dominating in PVP or PVE, you’ll be at a distinct advantage knowing how to pull off all these fancy moves!
Way of the Warrior
These are passive class abilities.
- Combat Flow: Finishing off an enemy with a melee hit instantly recharges your dodge ability.
- Deadly Reach: Dodging increases your melee range, allowing you to lunge further to strike enemies.
- Lethal Current: After dodging, each Arc Staff hit creates a damaging lightning aftershock.
- Combination Blow: Kill an enemy with this melee ability to triger health regeneration and increase your melee damage temporarily.
Way of the Wind
An alternate set of passive class abilities.
- Disorienting Blow: Strike an enemy wih this melee ability to disorient the target and nearby enemies.
- Focused Breathing: Sprinting recharges your dodge ability. Increased maximum sprint speed.
- Combat Meditation: While critically wounded, melee and grenades recharge drastically faster.
- Lightning Reflexes: You are harder to kill while dodging.
Our most popular Destiny 2 guides:
- Skip Grenade: A grenade that splits on impact, creating multiple projectiles that seek enemies.
- Flux Grenade: An explosive grenade which deals additional damage when attached to enemies.
- Arcbolt Grenade: A grenade that chains bolts of lightning to nearby enemies.
Two types of dodge are tied to the Hunter class.
- Gambler’s Dodge: Dodging (double tapping circle) near enemies generates Melee energy.
- Marksman’s Dodge: Automatically reload your equipped weapon when Dodging.
- High Jump: While airborne, jump a second time to reach greater heights.
- Strafe Jump: While airborne, jump a second time with strong directional control.
- Triple Jump: While airborne, sustain your air control with a second or third jump.